This food stuff is great!

19 Feb

We had a nice turnout on Sunday at the Mountain View Farmer’s Market (and apparently a couple near misses – sorry to those we didn’t get to chat with).  Kendra and I were there handing out recipes and answering questions, as well as getting awesome insights from other challengers.  While the morning started out kind of cold and foggy, we were blessed with nice sunny morning to walk around and pick up delicious produce other well-sourced foods.  For those that were present, what did you pick up?  Any new and exciting ingredients that you are looking forward to trying?  If so, please share those in the comments!  I bought two new foods that I am very excited to try – ground goat meat and yucca – stay tuned for pictures and recipe for how I prepared these.

558096_10151339260519065_1013009115_n

Additionally, we have had some great looking food pictures from clients near and far (we have a couple correspondent challengers from at least as far as Chicago!)  Without further delay, here are those great photos.  Hopefully they will get you thinking about other foods and combinations you can try.

How are we doing otherwise, everybody?  We are now a full 2 weeks into the challenge.  What has been the hardest part/easiest part?  Any foods you thought you “didn’t like” that you now can’t get enough of?  Any new favorite cooking methods?  Are we remembering to spice our dishes so that they are exciting and tasty?

Please add your thoughts and reflections to the comments below.

11 Responses to “This food stuff is great!”

1. sws February 19, 2013 at 6:15 pm #

I was sorry to be one of the “near misses” on Sat. But I enjoyed the market and bought some delicious, sweet tangerines, chard (not sure yet how I’ll use it), artichokes, tomatoes, ++ and a bouquet of cheerful flowers. Matt — I’d love copies of the things you and Kendra handed out. Biggest challenge so far: major loss of energy, feeling weak. Are others experiencing that?

• matt4fit February 20, 2013 at 6:41 pm #

Great to hear SWS! I will have copies from all of the recipes up at the front desk for those looking for them – all seasonally relevant tasty dishes!
      As for the loss of energy, make sure that you are getting ENOUGH to eat. Since we probably removed one third of your plate, it is important to replace that space with additional protein and vegetables. Also ensure that you are adding fat to dishes. This will help to replace some of the calories that were lost as well.
      There can also be a loss of energy if you made a dramatic decrease in your total daily carbohydrate intake. This is completely normal, and will disappear as your body gets more acquainted with the lower carb, higher fat energy profile that you are providing it with; you might actually feel more energy! Just give it another week and you should be euphoric in your fat-as-fuel metabolism!

2. Ilana February 19, 2013 at 8:07 pm #

So good to see the community forming around Paleo. A huge part of Paleo is having an amazing blender that turns anything into liquid velvet. I bought a Vita Mix blender at Costco and use it daily.

3. Marisa Lewis February 20, 2013 at 11:37 am #

I was out of town this past weekend so missed the Farmers Market. I’d also love copies of what was handed out – email would be fine.

So far hardest part has been feeling weak and low energy. I also can’t find anything that makes coffee taste good, so I quit it and am drinking tea.

• matt4fit February 20, 2013 at 6:42 pm #

Marisa, check with the front desk for the recipes.
      Also, check the previous comment that I left for SWS about energy and feeling week.
      No problem with ditching coffee – you might realize that you don’t need as much caffeine as you thought. You can always come back to the coffee as your tastes change without all the sugar in your diet.

• RedDeb February 23, 2013 at 12:25 pm #

I am using Almond Milk in my coffee. It is not the same taste, but gets me by and helps me with my need for something creamy.

• matt4fit February 24, 2013 at 3:57 pm #

Great alternative RedDeb. I – as well as a lot of us at the gym – use coconut milk when we want a little more creaminess in our coffee.

4. Debbie February 20, 2013 at 11:48 am #

Actually I am sleeping better and not tired at all. Totally notice that the 3pm food cravings (you know the kind where you are just foraging mindlessly for something to snack on) are gone. Done 6 lbs so far. Biggest challenge….still as always is breakfast and finding other things to eat without dairy and carbs. It’s cold out (anyone up for a run in 7 degree weather?) so wanting comfort food that’s hot and toasty.

• matt4fit February 20, 2013 at 6:45 pm #

Great to hear that you are feeling better Debbie!
      To make your morning meals easier, try and get rid of the constructs of what makes up “breakfast foods”. I often will eat chili as my first meal of the day; and should help with those cold days too! Grain-free porridge is also a great option for cold mornings. Just make sure that you are getting a good dose of protein along with it.

5. RedDeb February 23, 2013 at 12:26 pm #

Matt – can you give more direction on grain free porridge.

• matt4fit February 24, 2013 at 4:09 pm #

In essence, there are two different methods that you can use to make a grain free porridge. The first is creating a “custard” with eggs and coconut milk, to which you can add ground nuts, coconut, fruit, etc. to it. The second, and easier, method is to combine different ingredients that give the porridge both consistency and bulk. The recipe from “Practical Paleo” uses almond butter as the consistency component and shredded coconut as the bulk and texture.
      I hope that helps. Let me know how it goes!